Thursday, November 13, 2008

Getting on a teacher's good side

Just recently, i was caught sleeping in class. I tried very hard to stay awake, but the narrator on the video we were watching was too boring. I tried to explain to my teacher that i had tried to stay awake but she had just coincidentally looked over at me the two seconds i had dipped off into sleep. Because of that incident I tried to think of some ways that I could get on my teacher's good side and i found out some common methods that usually work.
The first method I heard works, despite criticism, is to simply suck up to the teacher, or in other words, be a brown noser. Since teachers look at students based on first impressions, and my first impression wasn't that good, I tried everything that would get the teacher to like me again. Because my teacher was an environmentalist, I brought in reusable water bottles that whole month.
Another method that works pretty well is to come to class early with all your materials even though it's not required that day. For the rest of the month, I would come a couple minutes before the bell rang and brought my textbook to class even though we rarely used it. I started to look like a more responsible student in her eyes until I fell asleep again; I had to start all over.
Before going to school the next day, I spent all night reading the chapter we were going to cover in class so that I would be prepared when she asked questions that day. Unfortunately, she didn't ask me any questions that day. Still, it was useful reading the chapter because the test was a bit easier.
Another method to getting on your teacher's side is improving your grades. It doesn't matter if your grades are improving slowly or quickly, as long as it's improving. This will show to teachers that you are trying to succeed in that class, despite the level of difficulty.
Try using one of these methods to get on a teacher's good side and you will usually succeed. If you can't seem to accomplish any of the given ideas, I don't know what to tell you except don't fall asleep in class.


No comments: